Friday 6 October 2023

Two for the price of one finished object

I got busy yesterday.  I was busy with my head in the depths of Ravelry and knitting vlogs and all sorts of wonderful interesting things.  I finished the first square in the new colour combination on Carter's blanket and let me tell you, these are eye maddeningly bright colours. The combination is wild and brilliant and makes me me go just a little bit blind.  But I love it.

That's when the Ravelry dive happened.  A week or so ago, Knitty the best ever online knitting magazine, put out it's fall issue. It is, once again, a treasure trove of riches.  I love everything. Some I would knit.  Some I wouldn't but I love them all.  Knitty is ever an inspiration.

I fell hard for Linger.  I absolutely love the style of it, the flow of it, the knitting stitch used.  I would cast it on right now but for one problem.  I do not have the yarn.  The yarn in the pattern is Berocco Ultra Alpaca Chunky.  I have several colours of Ultra Alpaca in my stash but not the chunky version of it.  The search was on for a yarn or yarns to combine to get a weight that would work.  I know the yarn I would love to use, but I do not have enough of it to double strand it..  Maybe.

One of the ways that I might be able to make it work is to double strand it with two colours.  I have a sweater quantity and a bit more of each of these two yarns


but not enough to make a whole garment using a double strand of jut one of them.  I dearly wish I had enough of the grey blue Galway Heathers.  It would be the sweater I see in my head but I don't so I am currently contemplating striping it doubling each or combining the two to make a deeper coloured marl.  Both ideas have merit.   
  
I also have a ton of a rich warm green Mission Falls 1824 Wool which would be great too, but if I double it, I am a wee bit shy.  I mean a very wee bit and I started digging though things to see what would work with it for button bands and hems and collars.  I am still looking.  There are a lot of choices that would be wonderful. It may take a while and there may be swatching involved to get the look I would want out of Linger in the Mission Falls Wool.. 

I got distracted.  

My mind was full of stripes and yarns and combinations when I saw my box of Lopi and just pulled that out to look and touch and dream.  Dreaming about working and wearing Lopi is easy.

I did think seriously about using the Lett Lopi I have for Linger but it just didn't feel right.  I had thought about using it to make a vest to wear with my Hun sweater but I have much more than I need for a vest.  I have enough for a sweater and probably enough for a vest too.  There is a sweater's worth of the green at the right side of the shot but once again, not quite enough to double strand for Knitty's Linger.  




And then, with my mind full of stripes and combinations of colours and warm thick winter knits, I knew what I was going to do.  There is a sweater I have been thinking about  called Utkiek or Outlook in the english language. I have been thinking about this sweater and its myriad of textures since I first saw it in 2022.  I loved it but it is knit in a sport weight yarn and I don't have any uncommitted sport weight in a sweater quantity.

But the second I thought of Utkiek, Lett Lopi in hand, I knew this had to be.  Yes I was going to have to engineer the garment and do the math but sometimes things are so very worth it.



See?  It is the sweater I want.  The sweater I need my version of Utkiek to be. Rustic, a little fuzy and very earthy and real.  And I have plenty of yardage for it plus there should be lots of the green left to do a vest that will work with my Hun too.


I cast on.

I did finish something this week and I am making great progress on Carter's blanket and I have been cleaning and tidying the WIPs bin.  I worked on socks too.  I have been very good  so surely I deserve a little reward. 

Two for the price of one finished object?  Yes.  Linger and Utkiek.  Its a perfect winter pairing.  

No comments: