Monday 2 October 2023

Colour and Endings, and Things on the Go.

When I woke this morning, the day was just begun.  The sky was filled with soft peaches and turquoise and the sky seemed to come right down to the ground.  It was not a good thing.  We still have a lot of smoke from ongoing forest fires to the north, less powerful than they were in the heat of summer, but ever present.  We need rain.  The north needs rain.  Or snow.  

It was a lovely weekend though.  Air quality was not too bad and my hands felt pretty good.  I picked up a plethora of things and couldn't seem to settle my mind on any one thing.  I wanted to work on them all.

I worked on a couple squares for Carter's blanket.


I have only 1 square left in these colours and then it is on to the second half of the work, in bright reddish pink and the brilliant green in the neon colour range.

I pulled out my lovely yarns from Arcane Fibre Works.  I wasn't planning to work on them.  I want to finish my other sweater first.  But oh, to glory in the brilliant colours. 



It might be fall but I do not have to work in dim colours.  I get to knit with light and fun and joy.

I did pull out the other sweater, and the other things I wanted to work on.


When you have all these in your knit me now basket, it is hard to choose. Still sense reigned and I knit what I needed most.

I have to sleep with braces on my hands.  It helps to keep me from injuring my hands in the night, making for long stretches of not knitting.  Wearing wristwarmers under the braces makes it so much more comfortable.  Finished object alert:


I put them into use already and they are perfect.  

It's a small thing and there are tons of things to work on but I stil felt a bit of the usual finished project hangover.  I felt unsettled and nothing in the WIPs basket felt right, not even those lovely sweaters and their gorgeous rich colours.

I pulled out my Zoom Loom and popped out a square for my scraps blanket.


This blanket is using sock yarn scraps and it is making a dent in the box of ends, but it is a distressingly small dent.  

The other thing I did this weekend was to dig through the WIPs bin.  It is over flowing and I didn't think there were that many new cast ons.  It's a big WIPs bin, a large storage ottoman with a table top style lid and it usually contains everything.  Well, except blankets on the go.  Those are just too big.  And the stuff in the storage footstool.  And the bags in the corner.  The yarn is eating up my space!

I sorted through it all.  I have started a couple new sweaters in the last while.  That means that two more sweater quantities of yarn are now trying to fit. The left overs from two sweaters were in there too.  Taking that out helped though they still have to be properly put away.  There was a bag with two balls of sock yarns and the leftovers from Marcus sweater finished in June were tucked into a corner too.  Out that went.  And then I took a good hard look at socks WIPs.  There haven't been any finished socks lately, but there were several bags of miscellaneous sock yarn purchases and things from the stash. Most are for things that need doing soon like my need to make a sock monkey for my wee Everett.    



I sorted through that all and put the miscellany into one bag.  One full bag of sock yarns that are not being used for socks.  Harrumph.  

The WIPs bin is still overflowing a bit but it is much more in control. My focus is still to finish the Midknit Cravings Pesto sweater and Carter's blanket.  And then to work on all the WIPs.  

Digging in the WIPs bin reminds me of all the gorgeous yarns I have on the go and oh so many things in the stash.  Maybe this week will be a stash dive?  You just never know.  

No comments: