Wednesday 30 August 2023

Starting Over

The black skirt and pants are both finished and I can tell you one thing.  Black fabric, black thread and my black sewing table sitting in the window are no longer a good combination.  I was blinded by black. 

I have worn the pants and need to assess the size I sewed.  Same with the skirt. It is really interesting to look at my makes from this perspective. Who knew.  I sleep better with my bipap machine and unexpectedly (to me) sleep makes a difference to my body in many ways.  

The biggest problem with the pants is an overly long front rise.  I know one nifty trick to help with that problem, but I am thinking that the next pair is going to be sized with the rise from a smaller size of pants.  The backside fit of Muna and Broad patterns is, as usual, just right with only a tiny back rise length adjustment.  The narrower cut of the Birchgrove leg is very nice. 

I am wearing the Pyrmont skirt for the first time today.  It fits great when I am sitting down, with the wide pleats working to make a no stress sit.  The problem is that the total width of the front is just too wide.  The extravagant pleats don't shorten it's width by nearly enough.  I had to cut the elastic in the back to the point of goofy short in order to make it stay up.  Pulling the elastic that short makes the side seam pockets to be uncomfortably and impractically far back. Defintely can use a smaller size.  Thankfully a skirt cut as this one is will be easy to change to a smaller size.     

It is not the fault of the patterns at all.  They were well written and easy to sew and for my body, all the Muna and Broad patterns have been pretty much spot on for fit.  I just happened to need a different size.  Today's job is going to be to remeasure me so I can better judge the right size for my changing body shape.  Its like starting all over again.

A note for those of you who wonder about it, the food I eat is the same.  I have changed nothing. No diet changes.  No medication for weight loss.  Those things are not sustainable.  I sleep better and I write down what I eat every day and that is about it.    

No comments: