Monday 28 August 2023

Not going to be cowed by this.

Progress has been slow.  This is where I was last week 




and this is what I managed to do over the weekend.  I so wanted to do more but it wasn't to be.

I think the heavier knitting is bringing back up the issues that caused me to not knit all of the early part of this year.  What I have is trigger finger and trigger thumb.  The finger is my middle finger on my right hand and my thumb on my left seem to be the hold outs.  The one that is harder to deal with is the thumb problem.  The finger isn't really used in my knitting, but it stays stationary for long periods of time while I am knitting, arched above my needle, dancing along.  I have been focusing on holding it in different angles as I work. The thumb is a much bigger problem.  It is the fulcrum that supports the lever that is my knitting needle.  

So I am going to take it easier today and do a bit of sewing, maybe tidy a bit by my miniature things.  The supplies there are getting a wee bit out of hand.  There is some planning to do as well.  I have been gathering materials and techiques and appropriate glues to work on the garden along side of the house. I have also been contemplating windows and doors, not working ones but ones that are a feature in the rooms like they would be in a real room.  I want to have a doorstep into the garden that matches what is inside the kitchen.

I am going to look for the piece of old table pad (the sort of thing you put under a tablecloth to protect your good wood table to from hot dishes) that is kicking around here.  My current sewing project is on black fabric, the thread is black, and my sewing table is black. Adding to this, I am sitting right in front of a window and it adds up to I can't see a darn thing.  I am hoping that by using a section cut from the old table pad and changing the black surface of my sewing table to cream, that the blind feeling will dissipate.  With luck, it will tide me over till winter, when the south east facing window is perfectly placed for good light.  The neighbours house hides the direct morning sun and the light is good but filtered.   

I won't be cowed by my hand setback.  I mean to find a way to deal with it and to integrate my knitting into having problem hands.    I have lots of little fun things I can do without stressing my hands, allowing healing.  

No comments: