Friday 24 March 2023

Adventures all alone.

I had an outing today.  It was the first time I got out of the house without a trusty assistant in months.  

I made it out to the car and went down to my doctors office.  It sounds like not a lot but let me tell you, that it was huge.  A milestone.  I made it to the car and got in with no stops for breathing and walked almost normally all the way.  Huge change from before Christmas and a big change even from January.  I made it over the stupid curb and if I had ever written about the stupid curb I could not climb, you would understand this.  I was worried that it would happen again, but I had an alternate plan that would not leave me on the side of the street bawling my heart out.  Like that first time.  I climbed that one stupid step like I owned it.  And then managed to get all the way into the office and to the waiting room before I had to sit and rest.  And then even better, when I got into the doctors office my blood oxygen level was 97.  It was normal, and even her eyes widened at that level so soon after physical exertion.  It was a huge victory in every possible way.

I had to get some x-rays of my hands, so that was my next adventure. My doctor wants to rule out arthritis in my hands and in particular my thumbs.  Perhaps that is what is causing me to have all this hand trouble.  The carpal tunnel seems to be much better and there is no pain but for the thumb.

So I did that.  I do not have handicap stickers for my car.  I need them.  I had to park street side, but it was only a short walk to the entrance of the facility from the nice well cleaned street and there was no ice all the way.  I stopped once going in but went all the way to the car on the way out.  It was lieterally downhill (a slight slope) for most of the way.  And then I had a fast food late lunch.  Haven't done that in ages and ages. 

I felt so good that I decided to stop at Walmart.  That meant finding a place to park next to one of the cart places, and I did find such a spot near the front doors.  So, I took a cart and went in, where I traded it for a scooter.  I love Walmart because they have these. No one else does. It makes for really wonderful shopping.  

And I did shop.  I could have shopped much more, but Keith called to say where was I and my supper was ready.  I had everything I really needed and so I headed for home.  

I was exhausted and needed help as usual getting up the stairs.  I think I could have managed it if I had gone home right after the xrays.  STill, I made it up the stairs with a bit of help so I am calling it a decent job.  Once I had my dinner and a bit of a rest, I felt pretty restored.  Still, it was enough of an adventure for a first time out on my own,  in a long while.   I need to build up some stamina and rebuild some muscles and that will go forward now with some help from the physio guys.  I am kind of looking forward to seeing what he wants me to do.   

It may seem like a pretty average day for most of you but for me, it was huge.  Huger than huge.  Bigger than big.  Epic even.  I am am proud of getting this far and I am thrilled that I managed as much as I did.  

And I am tired.  I am going to hit the hay early tonight and I am going to sleep really really well.  I am also going to give myself a gold star and a pat on the back just because.  

No comments: