Friday 10 February 2023

Upholstery Needles

I got a parcel yesterday that I was sort of excited about.  

When I got the little Zoom loom, and once I had used it to make the first squares, I was pretty certain that I wanted a needle that could do what the needle of the little Zoom Loom does, for my larger pin loom.  It was just a matter of figuring out what sort of needle would be long enough to get across my loom in one weave.  

I discovered that there is such a thing as an upholstery needle.  I thought a ten inch one would work so that was what I was looking for.  I bought a package of four upholstery needles from Dritz with sizes of 6, 8, 10 and 12 inch needles.  That was my exciting package.

I took out the yarn I was playing with the other day.  Patons sadly discontinued Hempster.  I wanted to try it on the larger pin loom to see how it would work doubled.  


I warped the loom and I think the yarn is going to be fine.  The pin loom is a ten inch loom so that was the needle I started with.


It very quickly became apparent that I needed a longer needle so it could reach beyond the loom.  The ten inch needle was stuck with both tip and end at the same point at the nails and I needed to push it past the nails with a flat end screw driver to be able to grasp it to get it through the warp rows.  I was very happy that I had that 12 inch needle.


It took no time at all to weave a few rows and 

 

After this, I picked it up and did a few rows whenever my hands were not otherwise occupied and I have only 4 rows or so left to weave.

The needles were absolutely the right option for speedy weaving.

No comments: