Tuesday 17 May 2022

#MeMadeMay2022

No knitting yesterday.  Zip.  Not even in the evening.  I opted for a second sitting at the sewing machine and let me tell you, I am really pleased with how it is going.  


I messed up the neckline placket but I have decided not to care.  It doesn't affect the wearability at all and maybe it is a design feature?  This is why I will never be a great sewer, only a basic one.  I am not all that fussy and good sewing demands being detail oriented and really putting a lot of care into it.  I care, only when the going is good in sewing.  Otherwise good enough works.

This is of course, the top that is fast becoming my favourite wearable ever, the Torrens Top from Muna and Broad. I have made four of them, plus my original muslin tester.   

And then the pants.  They don't look like it from here but they are almost done.


There is just one side of the inner leg seams to do plus the waistline casing and elastic and then hemming.  That won't take long at all.  

The fabric for these was a special treat for me a good long while ago. It was one of the first fabrics I bought when I knew that I needed some clothes so 4 years ago at the very least.  It's a lovely heavy weight linen and sewing it is an utter and complete delight.

If you ever really want good linen, go to Maiwa.  Seriously.  If I could afford it, all my fabric would be from them.  Now that I have found how I like to dress again that is.  I lost that for such a long time.  In my perfect world...

If I could really afford it and if I could get my size, (many pieces are, but I still can't afford it) I would buy my clothes from their vendors!  Just looking at the lines of ready made things they have is such an inspiration.  

One last bit of what my day is and I must say, this round of laundry is very rewarding.  Three of the shirts I sewed last week were in the wash for the first time (other than the prewash I give all fabrics) and I can happily say no ironing for these.  A careful fold is all they need to stay ready to wear.  The plain rayons?


They are going to need some ironing.  Or at the very least immediate hanging. Sigh.  Keeping my fingers crossed for the rayon linens blends.  I have another striped rayon linen striped blend cut out for today's big sewing job after the pants are done.

Well that is it.  The coffee in my cup is cold, the first two loads of laundry are done, with the second of them only needing to be put away and it is time to get cozy with my sewing machine.  

 

No comments: