Tuesday 29 March 2022

Shopping

It was flag day yesterday.  One and a half of them anyway.  I have one and one half to go.  

This afternoon, I'm going to be doing some baking.  Poppyseed chiffon with a peanut butter icing at the request of the landlord.  It's okay because at the same time I am going to be putting on my supper.  I decided on pulled pork when I was digging for some non existent chicken yesterday.  With supper already decided, the day feels remarkably free.

But mostly this morning finds me contemplating clothing and me.  I have been wearing my new dresses with regular pants for now, and it is remarkably freeing.  Energizing even.  It makes me hunger all the more for some shirts and tops too.  

When I left office work I had a huge wardrobe of work clothing.  It did not translate into things that worked for retail, so I had a whole other wardrobe for retail. Jackets, dressy crisp gaberdine pants, basic tops and scarves to give me some colour and bang for what were a sets of black things and a sets of navy things for the office.  Breathable natural fabrics for hot sunny days in Southern facing storefronts beefed up by sweaters and shawls for retail.  By the end of my working life I had tons and tons of clothes besides a whole set of things that were really only good for gardening or painting walls.  And over the years, that has been what I have been wearing, augmented by plain t shirts.  

And an endless bevy of sweaters that were handmade by me.  Which was so rewarding to me.  

In the same way this sewing is energizing.  I am enjoying having all these new things at once.  It is a such a joyous thing to go shopping and come home with several new outfits at a time.  I am shopping, just in a different way than shopping is usually done.  But I am also looking forward to a time when I have enough and when the sewing is something occasional and fun just like going shopping is for so many people.  I will still shop my way, pre - clothing as is but shopping is fun online at least.  But mostly,  I look forward to the end of need.  


No comments: