Monday 21 March 2022

Hitting a wall.

I had hoped to get the last of this dress style sewn by Friday, but I hit a wall.  The top of the dress went together beautifully as usual.  Even my little neckline hack went beautifully.  


See.  It's lovely and crisp in this small gingham fabric.  I love checks and plaids and this could easily become a favorite.  But

I had hoped that I would have enough fabric for the usual twice the width ratio for the skirt.  Because this is a narrower fabric the layout for the top pieces changed just enough to bugger me for the skirt.  I was about half a metre short.  The wall was do I still want the dress, or could I turn this one into a tunic top?  

I hemmed and hawed and in the end, decided for the dress.  Suddenly having choices is simply amazing to me.  The idea that if my pants are all dirty, the I have three garments I could wear is just unheard-of.  I can see me wearing a dress for everyday this summer for no other reason than that I can.  Plus there are lots of other fabrics that were bought for shirts and tunics.  I want this dress.  

I ordered just enough fabric to get me my two times gathering ratio.  Possibly a bit more.  If there is a bit more, I will use it along with some black to make a bit of a tank camisole type top.  

One of the patterns that I love from Muna and Broad, okay, honestly, Muna and Broad is so me, the I love them all, but one of my favorite is the Nullabor top and dress.  My personal choice would be to make the strap wider, but I am sure I can do that easy enough but otherwise it is a perfect little top to wear under.  It takes just a metre for a straight grain camisole on wide fabric, and if you want a bias cut, so it floats around you, a metre and a half is.  I already have some destined to be this , some plain black to wear under all the summer shirts, but some made with bits of leftovers.

Couldn't you just see the Nullabor on a top with the shoulder straps and top edge made of an neat check like this with the rest of a plain?  I can.  Or wouldn't it be great as the pocket edge trim on aCobden Chore Jacket?  The wee bit more of the checked gingham from this dress is going to go for something like that.  

My day started with company foc coffee, so things are only just getting under way.  Attention is going to paid to the last dress on the pile.  


This is one of my favorite pieces of fabric ever.  Checks and a glorious golden yellow.  Yum.

 

No comments: