Thursday 23 December 2021

It's here

With things as they are, my knitting went straight for my comfort zone, socks.  It is where I began and who knows.  I may well be where I end.


Nice progress.

But I dreamed of the next thing to knit.  I dreamed of knitting my Pesto yarn from Mid knit Cravings.  I have a skein of a wonderful acidy olive green colour, Kelp Forest, to use for the very interesting hem and cuffs on Laura Aylor's Sun Dog.  I am going to add a polo type collar made to look like a second top underneath the wide neck of the original, and there is an almost 100% chance of the bit of a henley treatment as well, just to show off the more solid green.  This will be one of the first things I cast on in the New Year.  

But I also have a hankering for one more last grand thing before the year is out, a special something for between Christmas and New Years.  What I need is one of those sweaters that just love to be swacked out in a week or ten days of work.  I have some of that really nice warm Bulky Debbie Bliss Donegal Luxury Tweed Chunky in my stash, begging to be used and it is just the most wonderful yarn.  I am voting for a copy of 2019's Liesl by Ysolda Teague.  I did that sweater in ten days, but I am certain I could do it faster without all the worrying I did about running out of yarn and which blue was the right blue.  And, like I said, I do have a couple other colours of the same yarn in my stash.  

The problem I have is that I used 8.5 skeins for the original sweater, and I have 8 skeins of olive green  and only 7 of a brighter cheerier apple green.  I do still have some teal blue, a yarn from Diamond though I can't find it in my online stash at the moment but the colour is nice with the greens and it might be enough to stretch the green far enough out to make a sweater with the same sleeves and length.  Won't really know till I knit with it.  I also recall it was the smallest bit lighter in gauge than the Debbie Bliss.  

But then there is this sweater.  I fell in love with the beauty of the project and I really wanted to create it.  I have the same colour of Kauni that the OP knit her sweater in, and I was going to use some of my much treasured Tove stash to imitate the softly changing colours of the knitter's background.  I have these yarns all pulled and in my inspiration cabinet, wound and ready to go.  I just need to pick out a motif from one of my books and to decide exactly how I will do the background colours and then, to sit down and  start.  That could take ten days all on its own.

But, I am also in the mood for a bit of a stash dive. While  I want to see and be with all the yarns, there are a few particular things I want to bring out.  I have some pretty yellow Washed Linen  that will make a perfectly matching summer cardigan to one of my fabrics for summer clothes.

And there is my much desired shawl, the Jahreszeiten - Herbst.   My version is languishing in the depths of my WIP bin, maybe a row longer than in the project page photo.  And the Elton sweater in River City's River colourway or the Breezeway top I started last year in a mashup of Fleece Artist green sock yarns.  

I could go on, because well, there is some cherry red Brown Sheep Nature Spun Sport that calls my name as well as a cone of softest tans and this wonderfully aged looking apple green, like old Granny Smiths.  Sweet heavens, I have marvelous yarns.  

In these last few days before Christmas, socks are really where the knitting is.  There is time after for making dreams turn to reality.  Who knows if the dreams will lead to a new sweater or not.  But where ever the dreams land, I will be content.  I love knitting.  I really do.  

Have a wonderful Christmas, everyone out there.  My posting from here to the end of the year won't be regular but I will post when I have something interesting to say and I will post a year end sort of thing too.  But the holidays are at hand and there is Christmas joy to spread, and if I spread it well, it shall come back to me fourfold.



No comments: