Wednesday 30 December 2020

MOJO!

I knit a bit on the green sweater, the new green sweater that is, till my hands were tired of it.  I was sitting with a pile of stuff surrounding me.  It was rather disordered and kind of a mess of things new and old.  Some stuff fell out of it's container and the new yarn fell to the floor and socks fell out of the bag that I had them all in. 

I took that as a sign.  Not a sign to tidy up, but rather as a sign that the world wanted me to knit on my socks.  So I did.  I knit in socks the rest of the day.  I knit a little on a pair of scrappy doubled frankenstein socks but that didn't do it for me.

I knit a little bit  on the green socks.  I am becoming very enchanted by them. There is a quality to the dark green.  The light seems to come from within the depths of the green.  Magical.   

                                       
I knit a bit on the second sock with the brilliant blues from my favourite Drops Fabel colourway.  Neither of these felt like what I wanted to work on the rest of the day.  They were okay but not it.

And then I picked up the socks with the Cascade Heritage Prints.  This is the yarn where I had half a sock done but the bright colours of the skein changed into washed out uninspiring sadness in the sock.  I ripped out that first sock and restarted, putting just a dab of charcoal between the colour sections.


The sock comes alive with the contrast and I couldn't stop knitting.  By suppertime, the sock was long enough that I could think about knitting the ribbing and voila, sock one done.  These are not going to have heels.  I feel a hankering for a new pair of socks and I am okay with tube socks.  I haven't had any for a while and there are times and places where a plain old tube is the best sock yet.

Working on that sock, finishing that sock, having it turn out so cherrily, has reawakened my sock mojo.  It felt so good.  It felt like coming home and it felt like something brand spanking new.  It felt like I was conquering the world.  I have no idea where the thought came from, but I felt as if I was an ancient mighty king standing with my sword raised, my foe defeated on the field of a valiant battle.  I wasn't watching Viking shows and the only foe I conquered was the beastly voice that lives inside my head but the victory there is always hard won.  By the end of the day, I felt much love for sock knitting.     

I am going to boogie today and will knit hard, to get sock two done.  If I free up sock needles sometime tomorrow, I might get to start a pair from my new favourite book!  


The sock yarn bin is out and is standing by...

I like the idea of new socks to bring in a new year.

No comments: