Wednesday 30 September 2020

Of Yarns and Patterns and Small Joy

I did not work on anything much yesterday.  It was a grand day out.  Not really but it was a day that was full of appointments and  associated medical tests for my yearly physical.  By the time I was done, I was tired and took a nice long nap.  When I woke up, it was time to decide dinner and when that was organzed and arranged I realized that my arms were too tired to hold in the way one does to knit. So I watched some shows and put myself to bed early.  

I am bright and shiny today so there will be lots of work.  I should insert wish in there somewhere if I am honest.  I feel a bit down and a bit out of sorts.  Not cantaknkerous, just sad. Sometimes the state of that nation next door overwhelms me with sadness.  It would be nice if those things would stay in their own place, but the truth is that what happens there legitimizes very bad things everywhere else.  It just makes me sad.  I usually take a double of B vitamins, which are my bolthole to keep that at bay,  but I was out for a couple weeks.  I know that it will come back to my usual more cheerful self, but I am going to have to work on it for a few days to keep me feeling chipper.  I will shrink my little world today and do the best I can.

I am debating what I will work on next.  The shawl will continue but it's very long rows can feel tedious and I hate to feel that way about a thing.  I need a little something to work on inbetween and I know what I should work on but I don't feel very like shoulds and musts right now.  Little rebellions as ever, everywhere I can.  Rebelling a little is a good thing.

Seasonally, I am due for a big dig in the yarn stash, to pull out  something lovely to put in my inspiration cabinet.  I can't do that without a big clean to put away all the sewing detritus, not a task for today, but maybe tomorrow. That is one way to start my next projects. I should be looking at patterns and designs on my favourites list too.  I looked at what my wardrobe needs.  Now it it time to sort out if I already have some starting points, IE, patterns I would love to knit.  

But I also want to get a few more things finished from the WIP bins.  My immediate next projects are going to be finishing my Threipmuir  


which is exciting colourwork and still looks exactly like this.  Then there is my coat.  It is at the waist now, according to a note on Ravelry, though I have only photos of it at the sleeves.  It is October now, so the coat could be seen to be necessary.  It might be really nice to work on something where a few rows mean inches.  It is a should in some ways, but the idea of chunky yarn is inviting.  

Then, in the spirit of lace, I am thinking of picking up my Bridgewater shawl and finishing it.  It needs just the lace border and the edging.  It is a horsheshoe lace so I know how lovely that feels to knit. Possible.

Today the plan is to get to the second last colour on the shawl.  I am going to make a big push for that, so I can feel real progress.  I would also do some sewing, but I am, oddly enough out of black thread. I am waiting till I can have some picked up to get back to that.  Still I may cut out a pattern, just to get ready for when that arrives.  

Anyway on to the day.  I will look to the small things for what joy the day will bring.  I will look at my WIPs and my lists of things I would like to knit and just enjoy that journey.

No comments: