Monday 8 June 2020

Almost a Sweater

There is an almost sweater happening here.





I am very pleased about that.  Even better, it looks as if I have the sizing correct this time.  

To be sure I am planning to take this to her for a try on before the end of the week.  It is time for a visit with my little boys and my big guy too and maybe even their dad!  But my eye is telling me that it could be close.

The interesting thig about a garment like Lipstick is that it doesn't need to be perfect.  It is desingned with 8 inches of positive ease so there is a fair bit of leeway.  At the same time, you can still make it too big so that it hangs kind of sloppy looking.  I don't think that will be the case here.  I have a feeling and boy, do I hope the feeling is right.  

Still, if fit can be improved, it will be.  It will give me a chance to do a bit of tweaking on design features.  Now that I am working on the body, I have lots of time to think. That thinking time, made me realize, I missed a little something that I really would have liked to do.

The original Lipstick design has a little twisted rib, 2 stitches wide running all down the center front at the edge of the reverse stickinette section.  I have done that twisted stitch on the fronts but I didn't even think of it on the back.  The fronts were natural because it is part of the pattern but Lipstick doesn't have a reverse stockinette section on the back.  Tablouli's lace detail had reverse stockinette at the sides of the lace section to help the lace stand out from the main fabric, and it would have been a nice little additional detail, if I had done the twisted stitches to mark the edges along the back too.  It would make my blend of Lipstick and Tabouli perfect. It's a little far now to dorp all the stitches and redo it, but if I had to reknit to make it fit better, I would change it in a heartbeat.

Once again, I am really enjoying knitting this Joji Locatelli design.  It is just so much pleasure making this neat fitting yoke.  Yes it is drop shouldered but fitted drop shoulders.  Yes it has generous ease, but fitted generous ease.  It is just such a pleasure watching the magic happen.

And it makes me want to knit another of my own.  I have another inch and maybe two to knit on the body before it will be ready for a try on.  It is all joined up under the sleeves, but a little longer will make it easier to really judge the fit.  I might be able to see it already, but I don't think she will just yet.  

So my day is all set for knitting, or it will be as soon as I get my buns in the mixer.  Fresh buns for lunch.  Yum, and good knitting.  Even yummier and with fewer calories!

No comments: