Friday 1 May 2020

Picnics in Covid Times

This is how a picnic happens in Covid 19 times.





The only trouble we had was that our 2 blt subs and 2 plain subs with no sauces and no butter changed into three chicken subs.  Cassie ate hers but Marcus went into the house to make his own sandwich.  But they really liked desert, Smarties and had fun with the bubbles and balloons.  They had fun with these and then went to the backyard to get their bikes and helmets and happily rode around the cul de sac.  

The only dicey bit was getting close a few times when we had to remind them, and the almost hug Cassie just had to sneak in against my back.  I cannot say who was more disappointed that I had to say no to it. Hearts broke all over the place in that moment. But I also said that the very minute that I knew I could, I was coming to their house just to hug them.   

This morning reading here and there on Ravelry, I came across a post about squeaky acrylic and the old days and how modern acrylics are pretty good.  

Honestly, this makes me grumpy.  Acrylics have always been a decent fibre.  I submit this


This is a blanket I made for my grandfathers chair in 1978 from Eatons brand yarn.  I did a lot with Sear branded yarn too.  You could order it in the catalogue and they would ship it right to you.  Divine.  After his passing, it came back to me and has been a part of family life since.  It has never been a thing left in a closet and pulled out only for pictures. It has been the one they all fought for, the one that everyone napped under.  It was fought over and with by boys and dogs and cats.  It has been snored on by generations of our family.  and still it just stays soft and strong and nice.  

I made blankets through the 80s, and 90s and started crocheting sweaters late 90s and early 2000s.  I never ever came across squeaky acrylics.  There was a short period where the fibre was kinky and odd and a tiny bit harsh on the hands as certain Chinese mills were starting to make certain fibres, but it couldn't be called squeaky.  And since that time, the market has sorted itself out and acrylics are pretty nice fibres to work with.  

They are not like natural fibres and to compare them is really apples to oranges.  They are different.  They each have their own thing that they do well and are perfect for.  Why compare?  Use. Enjoy. Celebrate the difference!

I love wool.  I love silk and cotton and linen and ACRYLICS.

Just as long as I can knit with something, I am pretty darn content.

No comments: