Friday 3 April 2020

Insipration Storm

Yesterday's post was a struggle to write because I was under the influence.  No, not that kind, though a case could have been made that I was under the influence during the great date event of 2020.  I was under the influence of an inspiration.

Deb Gemmell put out a pattern yesterday called Build a Bigger V.  I suspect she has been busy playing with yarn during the epidemic lockdown.  And I like where she went.  

I saw the design, and ... mind blown.  It was all I could think of while I was writing yesterday.  Because it is designed and written to work with yarns of any gauge, because it is garter, because it is adaptable to any size and to any shape, because it is just a little different than everything else out there** my mind was completely and utterly blown.

I instantly understood what she was doing.  I think I gained that from knitting an Elysium years ago.  Approaching a sweater that way really does make it possible to shape it as you want no matter what you are using and no matter what size you need.  

I love that about this design.  It speaks of the same innovative approach, the same sort of quirky brain and knowledge of knitting and the human body that Elizabeth Zimmermann had and EZ was nothing if not a genius to know that people ought to be in the drivers seat of their knitting.  Deb Gemmell gives you the same ability.  And I want to drive.

I have a stash of yarns that were purchased with sweaters in mind, but where some of them are short of a ball or two of yarn for every pattern that I want to knit using them.  Like this mish mash of yarns.   None of these were purchased for a sweater.  I was thinking shawls and scarves, but when I see these all together like this...


I look and wonder if there is enough to do this sweater using the mash of the solids, and one of the colours. And then this.



 I have lots of the purple for a medium sweater but not enough for me. A pattern like this might give me exactly what I need.  It may have to be short or 3/4 sleeved but hey, why not?

But there are so many others.  There is leftover Silver Thaw from another sweater that I would love to work with again.


I do have some of the grey you can just see at the side, but I also have some darker, almost black, Regal from Briggs and Little that would look amazing with it in a sweater like this.  

I have so many yarns where I have purchased more than enough for a sweater and now have tons left,  but not quite enough to make another sweater or top, exactly like what happened with my blue top, and like the bunch of delectable fingering weight I have left over from my version of Granito.  

My brain was playing combinations of stash yarns all afternoon.  I knit my heart out on my green summer top, but my brain was thinking Build a Bigger V.  I think I am going to purchase the pattern right now.  I never do that until I am ready to knit unless the pattern has taken my brain by storm.  

Yarn storm, stash dive storm, pattern desire storm!  I love it!




 **That has come to market for the last while and that I have run into.

No comments: