Friday 24 January 2020

The Procrastination Game

My scarf today is one of my most loved though not so much worn anymore.  



It is made from two skeins of Noro Kureyon Sock and the pattern is Laura Chau's Simple yet Effective Shawl.  I used to wear it all the time working at the yarn store and it always got comments.  It is such a striking combination of greens.

I read an article this morning about procrastination and how it is tied to our emotions and not to any lack of time management skills.  It has always seemed apparent to me, but in the halls of academia, a study needed to be done.  Procrastinating is what we do, when we are trying to avoid a task that doesn't fulfill us. I procrastinate with housekeeping.  This finding is not a surprise. Funny how I found this article the day after I stopped procrastinating.

I was searching for something on my bookcase in my study the other day and moved the bags of projects.  I had tucked them to be out of the way in the livingroom over Christmas.   I tripped over them almost everyday since.  Each time I did so, I looked at the blue sweater bag and thought about that ugly awful sleeve. Yesterday, I stopped trying to avoid them and pulled them out back to my livingroom. 

And then I did it.  I sat down and faced the music yesterday and ripped off an entire completed sleeve from my pretty blue sweater.  


The behemouth leg of mutton sleeve is no more.  I had started on a second sleeve already so sleeve one is back on waste yarn, but at least I don't have to look a it anymore.  That giant sleeve took my pretty sweater and made it look foolish.  So...sleeve two is going to be started on fewer stitches and I am absolutely not going to do the long ribbed bottom of sleeve that was one of the features that drew me to the sweater in the first place.  FYI, the leg of mutton sleeve is not what the pattern has in it, merely what occurred on my sweater.  It happens that way when you wing it.  You really wish it wouldn't happen, but it does.  Finally getting rid of that ugly sleeve, that soul destroying monstrosity  means I might actually get this sweater finished.

There are lots of things to do today, and lots of things to do over the weekend (where did the days go) and there might even be time to knit sleeves.  If not sleeves, then perhaps sleeve bands? Who knows what I will procrastinate about next!

 

No comments: