Saturday 16 March 2019

Idle Thoughts

Marcus and I spent yesterday at my house before heading back to his town to pick Cassie up from school.  After lunch, he decided he needed to snuggle even though he rarely naps when he isn't at home.

He got his pillow from the spare room and the blanket he has decided is his from the chair.



I made the blanket for my grandfather in 1974 or 1975 and after his passing it came back to me and has been well used by many a small boy and tiny girl.

He looked so comfy that I put the picture on a certain social platform, and as I was typing I was thinking about my Grandfather, now Marcus Great Great Grandfather.  

My grandfather, August Diederichs, was born at the very tail end of the 1800s.   When I was a child, he would have remembered his grandparents though I doubt he ever knew of his great grandparents.  There was a continent between them and most did not live long enough to be great grandparents.

But this blanket wrapped around the shoulders of someone who lived and remembered his roots in distant lands and my family's roots here and it is wrapped around the shoulders of my little grandson who will, I hope, go forward into time carrying us all in his heart even if he doesn't remember all of us.       

No comments: