Friday 25 January 2019

Beating the dark part of winter.

I try really hard to keep track of everything I knit on Ravelry.  I try to keep photos and notes current.  I don't want to find something half done then years from now and wonder why it didn't get finished. But occasionally something gets knit and doesn't get listed.  

As I was waiting for Cassie's scarf yarn, I grabbed a big ball of yarn, some Rasta that I needed to repair another project and knit quickly.  She really does need a scarf for school.  They are outside often enough that it matters a lot. Only there wasn't enough yarn and nothing I tried worked with it.


What there was enough yarn for is this delightfully thick ribbed cowl thing.  Or it will be a cowl once the buttons are sewn on.  It will probably be one of these.

  
 From the great button excursion of 2018.  The buttons are much darker than they appear here. If they really don't add to it, there are a couple of the old fashioned leather covered coat buttons in the box somewhere, that will work.  What with all the other knitting going on, I completely forgot to record this, though, in a way, with one end to be cast off and ends to be woven in, it really wasn't finished till this morning.

I did knit on Cassie's scarf yesterday and I will add in a bit of the green ball, but I am avoiding that mint colour with a passion.  I am also not going to use huge amounts of it, just enough of it to give it a pop of green. She wants colour.  She gets colour. 

But most of my time was spent knitting on my sweater.  I am down to the last ball of yarn.


It is hard to explain how much I am looking forward to this sweater with its close fitting neckline.  I just cannot wait for its warm goodness and yet...

I confess to feeling a little bit down today.  It is possible that it is a cold that seems to be hanging just before the point of misery but it is also possible that it is the realisation that January is coming to the end, and that I haven't even begun to do the things I planned to whack out this winter.  Or it could be that it is that the very dark of winter is finally hitting me and I have yet to absorb enough of the much longer daylight hours we have now that it is the end of January.  

I am going to push to get the sweater done, but you know what else I might do.  I might start another pair of pretty pretty socks.  Something bright and cheerful.  Something to banish the dark of winter from my soul.  You know. One of these.

Or maybe something orange.  Maybe.  Just thinking about it makes me happy.  There are never too many socks.  Socks on the needles till I am out of needles! 

Okay, that might be going too far. Even for me. 
 

No comments: