Thursday 17 January 2019

And then there was

In the grand scheme of things, kids need stuff.  Somewhere along the line, it seems that all of my grandkids need scarves.  I made Isaac one several years ago and I made Carter on at his request last fall, and now that it is full on winter and kids are outside at recess, I am noticing that Cassie and Marcus need scarves too. Emmett is still too small to be outside without momma and he really doesn't need one in his chair, but you know what?  I might just make him one and get it out of the way too.

I am working on Marcus' scarf right now. It's just a simple 1 x 1 rib, which makes the nicest fabric for covering chins and mouths and that little section of your neck that sticks out all the time.


I'm using leftover Ultra Wool from his Chase sweater and some random skeins of Cascade 220 and am about half done.  I've just started on  longer grey section which will be the middle of the scarf and will then repeat the wide blue and yellow sections and so on to the end.

I could find nothing for Cassie.  She wanted 'cool' colours.  She found all kinds of cool colours in my sock yarn, but I am not about to knit a sock yarn scarf.  To be clear, we are talking about wild neons and turquoise and the hottest of pinks.  

I debated going to my closest yarn source, Walmart to see what they had, but the stock levels are so iffy and I knew exactly what colours I wanted.  I thought about heading to the city but that means losing two thirds of a day and the cost of getting there and back, plus any incidental spending that may happen.  It was the time that ended up making the decision for me.  All hours are better spent knitting.  I ordered some yarn for her in exactly the colours I wanted and it ought to arrive in a few days.  Till then grandma is going to loan her a scarf from my vast stock of scarves and shawls.

A lot of scarf knitting happened yesterday but so did sock knitting.  So did sleeve knitting.  Today, I think I am going to focus on getting the sleeves done on my sweater so I can simply knit the next few days when I am babysitting.   

No comments: