Thursday 6 September 2018

It's the Season for Socks

It's the season for socks again.  It is one of the first things I put on every single day and it is worn all day.  Sweaters and vests get popped off and on,depending on what I am doing, but socks stay on my feet warm and reliable, the whole day.

I was looking at projects this morning because I don't know what to work on today.  I am just a wee bit bored of the pretty little sweater, though it is close to being long enough and that means, not too far from done. Anyway, as I was looking it, I popped into a few projects to update them and I clicked one my socks 'parade'.  It isn't a parade this year.  It is a lone sock standing in a field.  Alone.


Inconceivable.

And yes, I do hear the voice of Wallace Shawn in the Princess Bride, every single time I say that word.

One sock is it for the entire year.  Who would have thought it could go so low. Sometime soon, I am going to get the feeling that I have no socks.  I do have a bag that are waiting for heels - or not - that I could press into service should the need arise, but still.

Since 2009, when I started tracking my socks enmasse, I have made a parade of socks.  A host of socks. Some, like the first photo in 2009, have lasted for many years.  I think they went to sock heaven the last time I tossed socks.  

In all but one year, I made at least 6 pairs of socks. That one year, I made 5. In two years, I made eleven pair and one other year, seven.  That is a lot of socks.

And then this year.  One pair.  I have got to do something about that. 

Maybe I should make it a small challenge to myself, to finish all the socks I have on the needles right now before the end of the year.  It really wouldn't take long, and it might just be the sort of challenge I would feel good about doing. It is also the kind of challenge where it ends win/win. If all the socks currently on the needles are not finished, who cares?  I have a couple more pair to wear! And if I do finish all the socks?  More socks!   

It is possible that all the digging in the sock stash has given me a desire to start a few new pairs.  There is a new Hunter Hammersen collection out.  It's not about socks, but her name always makes me think of socks. She has so many interesting patterns.  And then as Stash Dash proceeded, I found myself entranced by the patterns in the Knit Girllls Self Striping Socks bundle.  I keep scrolling though my bundle of favourites too, looking at the really lovely things there.

There will be socks soon.  I am certain of that. After all, it is the season for socks.

No comments: