Tuesday 18 September 2018

Adventuring

Most people wouldn't put knitting into the same category as adventurous sport, but I sure do.  But then, I am not most people, I'm obsessed by knitting and well, just because.  Knitting is always taking me somewhere different.

Today is a pretty good example.  

This morning I am knitting on the second sweater for Cassie.  The requested purple sweater.


If I was knitting this to a regular sweater length, it would be time to start the ribbing now.  I want something longer.  This sweater is just a wee bit wider than the other sweater, and that is perfect my wee girlie.  She grows like a weed. I want this to make it through grade one and into grade two if at all possible.  It will be a tunic length now and with a little bit of luck, that longer length will mean it is going to fit her longer.

Which means I have knit my girl two sweaters before I get to knitting Marcus his Paw Patrol Sweater.  I feel bad about this but in other breaking news, those adventures will begin today.

This afternoon, I will be taking out all the dye stuff I have accumulated and will be making up the dye solutions for his sweater.  That means today, I will be making all the colours out of only three base colours.  I figure it could be a challenge, maybe a great challenge, but it's worth giving it a try.  The plus  of purchasing dye things is that I can recover a vest, that was badly discoloured when I put it into the same wash as a red sweater.  My vest is going to be the test dye for the main colour of Marcus sweater. It will be a blue of some sort.  I hope.

The knitting adventure, where I hope and plan for future growth , the dye stuff adventure,  both of these happen on the same day as spinning day.  I have red spinning left to finish, I have a bobbin of green to finish, and I have a bobbin of spun in the grease single ready to finish as well.  This is me, still playing with long draw.  Fill all the bobbins!

I know that some people won't see the adventure, the challenge in these small things, but adventure doesn't only lie in the size of the mountain to be climbed or the oceans to be navigated.  Adventure lies in the heart of mankind and there is adventure in everything we try our hand at. Adventure is what stimulates and energises us and these yarn adventures are what lies at the heart of me. 

No comments: