Tuesday 28 August 2018

Spinning - Aiming for a Loftier Yarn

I was going to talk to you about some dyeing.  Instead, that plan did not happen.  I forgot to get the tall landlord to reach the dye crock down from the top of the cabinets where he stowed it and where, even on one of several stools, I cannot reach.  So tomorrow.  Maybe.

Today I will show you my spinning.  Please don't expect perfection because it isn't but it is exactly right for what I was trying to do.


My goal with this sample was to get away from my pretty well established 'ends up between sport and DK weight two ply'.  I really want to be able to get something that remains fluffy and pouffy that would make a wonderfully warm hat.

I am also trying to get it using a long draw method.  I still need practise at long draw, but when I am only focusing on the technique, I am getting pretty decent singles. See this previously spun red?  Decent by my books.


I want more.  I'd like to be able to get a reasonably smooth yarn when I am spinning with the goal of a loftier yarn.

This bobbin wasn't perfect, and I am good with that.  Perfection is overrated.  I rate this one as pretty good.


The fibre the natural colour came from, was not the best prep.  It could have used another good carding so that it would have pulled a bit more smoothly.  It was difficult to pre-draft smoothly and on spinning, it grabbed chunks and went to almost nothing at will.  I'm glad I didn't start on something like this or I would have never learned to spin.  

You can see the variation of thickness on the bobbin and in the cake.  But, when I look at it, the twist is all pretty even and I think that is as important as anything in what I am trying to do.

I will ply it later on my S51.  I thought about taking this along to ply on the Vic today, but I really would like to get some more time on the S51.  I am really looking forward to plying it though.  The sample I folded back on itself looks really great, better than I hoped for, with such a difficult fibre prep.

Today's spinning is going to be another of the bags of assorted stuff I don't have much of.  I need much more practise with this technique before I put it to use on some lovely blue fibre, or that funky teal in my bag. Practise, practise.  Even if I never get beyond practise, I am good with that.   

No comments: