Monday 18 June 2018

Wash Swatch.

There are times when whatever I am working on isn't enough.  Sometimes, it starts with a project, but sometimes it starts with a yarn.

I was putting away a batch of yarns that was in my car for a very long time and I kept moving small skeins of a yarn called Mini Duett from Sandnesgarn around and out of the way of my organizing.  Mini Duett is a wool cotton blend in a fingering weight and I just love it.  I have several quantities for sweaters and a few odds and ends of colours that I always thought would be great for kids things.  

Particularly, these pants. Because who doesn't need a pair of baby pants with a monster bun?  Seriously.  All my other grandkids were knit for so seldom by this grandma, that I mean to flood my new sweet little boy with all the things they never had.  Well, all the really cute stuff anyway. 


And so I cast on some monster baby pants for my little Emmett.  These have been my bedroom knitting for a couple days now.  I sit and listen to a book before I go to sleep and I knit something different.

But that led me to sit in front of my yarn closet, looking for the red that I  have in this same yarn.  That monster mouth on the bum is coming up very quickly.  I took a quick gander yesterday but didn't see it in there, so I am going to have to do a bigger better search today.   

Each time I go in to play in the yarn, I am overcome by how much lovely, lovely yarn I have.  I am overwhelmed by the beauty of it and for a moment, I wondered how on earth I was ever going to travel without packing the whole entire thing in case I needed something from it in the middle of nowhere.

I want to knit it all right now, every single inch of it.  There isn't a yarn in there that doesn't call my name.  Digging in the yarn excites my imagination.  Colours, fibres and twist all combining, waiting for me to create something interesting and perhaps, useful.   Yarn energises me and I can't wait to have it on my needles.

How am I ever going to decide what to take along to work on while I am traveling?  I do know that one sweater will come with me, if I don't get it done before I leave, but it is fingering weight yarn and doesn't really take much space.  And sock yarn.  I want to pack 2 different yarns and patterns for travel knitting, but I intend to be gone for 6 weeks and no matter where I am, there will need to be more than sock knitting and fingering weight yarns.  I know one other small project that I would like to have with me, but it too is small, luscious, but small.  

Well, time to think about that later.  I have to knit a bit of a swatch.  I didn't because I knew fairly closely how the yarn would knit up from endless numbers of socks, plus with a baby garment, well, they will grow into it.  This yarn needs a wash test badly though, so I can tell Wee Emmett's mommy how it washes.  The package says 40 C, but Ravelry says 30 C on a wool wash.  I know mommy mostly washes in cold water, but even so, 

Wash swatch it is. 

No comments: