Monday 8 January 2018

More Than The Knitting Parts

This weekend was all about me.  I spent my time doing all sorts of things that I found really fulfilling.  For one, I worked on my desk and made a keyboard solution for my too high desk without it costing an arm and a leg and from things that were around the house.  The landlord donated two slides from different Ikea builds.  The shelf I used was one that was taken down in the garage,  finished off by leftovers from holiday builds.


It is wonderful to be able to type at a more natural level again and mousing produces considerably less stress on that fragile wrist nerve canal.  I look forward to a resolution for all hand issues in short order.  Let the healing being and be complete this time without reinjury!

So knitting.  I debated which project I would work on.  The sweater yoke is almost complete and it is always exciting to get one significant part done, but then there are those socks.  My brother is coming this weekend for a motorbike show and I wanted to have his socks completed.  Most of my efforts went to that.


I am working in a slightly different way for these socks so I can get the longest cuff possible, without having to worry about how much yarn I have left.  Sock one is complete to the end of the gussets and heel and sock two is underway with the toe and the start of the foot complete. 

I'm getting a little fancy on the sides. 


He is a pretty good brother (cleaned out my car twice) and I know he will appreciate them.

It gives me a little something to focus on to make the knitting feel fast.  Every fifth round a cable.  I love the way a little design element looks as it moves alongside the gusset decreases. I had mentioned the Earl Grey socks by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee.  I was going to use that pattern, but the yarn is wrong.  This yarn is too busy for that lovely little bit of goodness. The lovely little stitch detail would get lost in this busy yarn.  I will use that pattern for the grey socks for Anthony.

Lat night was a new episode of  Discovery, the new Star Trek iteration.  I have really enjoyed this show from the first episode.  It fascinates me how an almost 60 year old television show can continue reinventing itself, and still remain a relevant platform showing off our human foibles and failings as well as giving us hope for the future. I am fascinated by how they are weaving this story line into the greater Star Trek canon and I remain absolutely blown away by the solid performances and writing.  You know right where I will be next week.

And that is pretty much the round up from my weekend.  Today is housecleaning day.  It's ordered more or less, but the cleaning needs to happen so only spots of knitting here and there while I do the heavier work today. All to the good since that is the best way to help my poor hand really heal.

 


No comments: