Tuesday 2 January 2018

And on to knitting

It might be Tuesday but no spinning today.  I was supposed to be babysitting some grandkids, but well, it's a bit complex and so I am not.  Rather I am staying home, to sleep, at least for now.  Gosh I am tired.  Headache tired, the tired that coffee can't erase.

I did a bit of knitting yesterday, and it is high time I showed it to you.  My sister  Kathy, was asking about it for her and for the owner of the stash it came from, my neice, Sascha. I think they were worried I didn't love it, but oh I do.  Indeed I do.



Aside:  That table is a mess.  Good thing it is being replaced. Already decided.

The last time this appeared on blog, it was way back.  It was much, much smaller and several houses ago.

I know I talked about it somewhere in the middle too, but I don't think there are other photos. Here it is with 9 'teeth'.  I talked about it somewhere when it had 12 teeth because of an issue.

I started this project October of 2016, just after a trip to Saskatoon and the Prairie Lily where I picked up a set of 3.25 needles. I cast on with them.  The trouble didn't bother me too much at first because there was so much happening and I was always paying attention, but as the rows got longer, it cropped up more and more often.

The issue isn't any other than too pointy of needles in this lovely soft spun yarn.  The yarn itself isn't loosey goosey.  It is beautifully spun, but the needles I grabbed when I started are extremely pointy and I find that unless I am in good daylight, it is easy to mess up and catch a small strand.   It's really too lovely to screw up with craptastic knitting. 

It was always at the top of things, being worked on here and there, often between socks, and in the lull after big projects.  I have never spent much time on it and yet, it is a healthy third complete,  21 teeth complete after yesterday. Not that I am going to get to 63 teeth, but I don't have a scale right now and all I can say for sure is that the yarn is not half used. 

I have my needle case handy and I have a few to put away from small finished things, so today is a good time to look for a less pointy tip.  My stock of 3.25 isn't that big, but with a little luck, there is an Addi Turbo with a regular tip hiding in there. 

I'm not a huge fan of speckled yarns.  Too often they are limp pastels with darker spots, not dark spots of other colours, just weak, wimpy spots of other pastels. I like much stronger clashes of colour.  I love this cream with its brilliant rich red and its pop of royal purple with a punch of orange sunshine.  Even when the colours get separated a bit, the punch of the colour is strong. 

I love knitting it but for the needles.  My sister and niece nailed it when picking it out for me.  And now that winter is here full on, and the rush of Christmas is done, I can pay some attention to this pretty little thing. 


No comments: