Saturday 11 November 2017

Sorting Troubles Out.

I am having to face up to it.  With my hand having trouble, there is just no possible way that I will get the Bridgewater Shawl finished by the end of the month when Olga will send her package to Ukraine.  But what the heck was I going to do if not that. 

This past week, digging for stuff to wear to keep the chill off the back of my neck was a revelation.  I pulled out my Wingspan and realized that when I blocked Olga's Grandmother's shawl, I should block this too.  I am so happy with its strong graphic edges. 



Very me and finished for months, but never worn. 

I think it was that I was thinking of her Grandmother, and thinking of things unblocked that had to be in the box, all surrounded by my worry about my hands knitting time and ability right now, and being done on time, and it all just piled up and I remembered.

I present my long completed but not yet blocked Onerva.



I finished this last winter and never got round to blocking it.  It is brand spanking new, finished and then tucked away till this moment, quite perfect for gifting. 

I originally started this for Olga's grandmother, but at the time my stockinette was iffy.  I had not sorted out how to balance my rows nicely and the wrong side didn't look nice enough to send.  I am much more confident now and because I did the knitting my style rather than knitting it the usual continental way, it turned out very nicely.  I finished it because it was such a lovely engaging knit.  Striking without being difficult.  I was always counting it, always caught the count running in my head, perfectly on track with where I was on the needle, long after I needed the count to track the work, just subliminally counting inside my mind.  That is when knitting is at its very best, when everything you are is there and active and engaged and when that other layer underneath, where your inner self lives, is also there and engaged too.

I will definitely knit another of these just for myself.  Perhaps by that time I will have sorted out what I need to do to turn it into a large square shawl.  Time enough and no rush.

This shawl is so pretty and soft.  A very pleasing combination of yarn and pattern and its  medium size should be perfectly right for how Olga's mom will most likely wear it, tucked at her collar but large enough to pull over her head if the weather gets bad. 

So, with this project sorted and nearly ready to send, I have two things to block and two things to knit I can comfortably say, I will have everything ready for when it needs to be ready. 

Or not.  Mileage can vary and in knitting, as in life, you have to be prepared for anything.

On today of all days, I am thankful and grateful that I have the luxury to worry about stuff like this.



No comments: