Tuesday 28 November 2017

If a Grandma Knits a mitten

I took my mittens along yesterday while I was watching my grandkids.  I thought thumbs would be doable.  They take such a few minutes and my wee grandkiddies are all pretty good kids.  

But if a grandma is knitting a mitten...


Surely a granddaughter will tell you in a wee small voice that her hands get chilly at recess and she could probably use a good warm pair of mittens just like grandmas.  (She has perfectly adequate mittens, but she knows grandmas like to knit for little girls and boys.)

So you know what happened.


I asked her to try them on a few times.  She came and she put the wool to her cheek and said Mmmmmmm and I asked if these be warm enough and she would answer that she thought so.

In order to fit a pair of mittens you need to try it on to see if the cuff is long enough and to check the width of the gusset and then to see if the gusset is long enough and finally to see if the hand is long enough and is it time to start decreasing.  I swear her hands were growing as I knit because each time she came to try it on to see if the knitting was over her little finger, I was short 2 rows.  I think the third time, I was right but the game had worn thin by then.  I called her from her play and she said, Again? 

I did explain that once the first mitten was done, Grandma wouldn't need to bug her again, because I could use the first mitten as a recipe for the second. I think she was relieved.

She was very pleased with the first mitten.  But if a Grandma is knitting a mitten for one little person, then...  You know what happened.


Marcus saw what was going on and he asked if he could knit a pair of mittens with me so he could have mittens too.  Of course you could have mittens too, so we tried on Cassie's mitten so we could see what size of mitten he needed because he has much less patience, being three, for trying things on.  Surprisingly, a mitten exactly the same size as Cassie's mitten.

Marcus' mittens were started after I got home and had a bit of time to think about things.  If your hands are the same size as your sisters, how on earth would you tell them apart from hers.  It isn't a good idea if they are too close to the same.  But a little boy wants mittens like grandma's too, so Grandma chose the darker yarn that was left from the same jacket.


So, here we have it.  Not just a pair for Grandma, but a whole series of mittens with one more small mitten to come.

And there we are.



And that is what happens, when a Grandma knits a mitten.


No comments: