Friday 13 October 2017

Blankies

I have been pondering blankies the last few days.  Blankies as in slightly larger than lap size afghans.  Not for myself but for the landlord.

He gave up his rooms upstairs in his own house in order to rent them out to me, and it is chilly downstairs come spring and fall.  It will get better once winter is here, when the big bright windows mean the furnace runs regularly.  But a blankie is going to be required for real comfort even then.

I started a blanket for him years ago but the browns and tans no longer are right for his space.   His suite of rooms are a lovely cool blue and his rug is grey.  His furniture is taupe, a holdover, but he plans to update that in a few years with a dark grey.  

Which means I need to use different yarn.  I want to use what I have as much as possible, which means I may have to give up some of my precious sweater quantities.  Eeeep.  We have already talked about how hard that is for me and yet, the way budgeting is, to buy a coulpe hundred dollars of new yarn is not in the cards.

In my stash, I have 10 balls of Galway in a lovely heathered blue.  


I also have 25 skeins of Peruvian Highland Wool in a blue that slips to a blue teal.  


This morning I find myself pondering if they will work together.  There is a tone of teal in the heathered lighter blue and perhaps they will play nicely if I offset them with some dark gray.

I do have some dark gray Regal that might work even if the texture of the yarn is different.  Maybe? Only swatching will tell for sure and swatching may happen as a respite from lace.  It also occurs to me that this means yet another wool closet dive.

Anyway that is what I am mulling today, seeing how I still can't knit.  

Today I am off to play with Marcus and I will visit with Cassie a little after school.  Not a knitting or computer day so I hope that means my hand will be up to snuff for big knitting on the weekend.  

No comments: