Friday 22 September 2017

Knotty problems of all kinds.

Did you know your finger tips can hurt after tying hundreds of knots all day?  Me either.


The first thing I did yesterday morning was to place knots all along the top (opposite the opening at the bottom of the duvet) to hold the airy batts in place there.  The next big task, was to close up the side of the duvet with the extra fabric.  That took up a healthy bit of my morning, but by lunch time, knotting on the rest of the body was well under way.  Pilot episode of Endeavour down. I knotted all afternoon, through the rest of the first series of Endeavour.  In the evening I knotted and watched the first episode of series two.   I really really hoped to be done, but it was 9 o'clock and I wanted to stop before my will to live was gone.   I still have three rows to go down the entire length of the throw but many episodes left of Endeavour to get me through.

So, perfection.  Or not as the case may be.

I count when I am knitting lace. I count almost obsessively.  Each set of yarn overs is counted. Each set of decreases.  I check if the registration stitch* is standing alone right where it is supposed to be. Usually, all this counting means the rows end exactly as they ought and each pattern row is knit seamelssly, row after row.  Almost perfection.

This next round is not working out.  I have a bad feeling the number two is my nemesis even though nothing in this pattern is in twos.

I started this round three times before I sorted out where the problem on the first side was.  I am now on side two of the round and voila, another error.  Different one.  I looked.  I am a little frustrated, so the whole thing is on a time out right now.


Once I am finished the throw, I will pick it up again and will knit.  Maybe it will magically just work out as things sometimes do after a timeout on a project.

One way or another, this shawl, this very lovely large gradient thing of beauty has to be completed in short order.  It has to go to Ukraine with the Christmas shipment of goods my daughter in law sends.  It is early days, I know, but I have to finish the Bridgewater shawl to send as well, and that still has a few rounds of border and the edging too.  Lots of knitting still to come on both projects.

Or maybe I will knit a sock.  I don't know.  Might just eat popcorn.  It kind of depends on the way things go.

No comments: