Thursday, 25 May 2017

And back to our regularly scheduled knitting!

I've been pecking away at the red sweater and really am pleased with where it seems to be heading.  It might be a good day today to sit down and really blow out some inches.

It is near waist level so about half done, and overall I am pretty pleased.

I love the stitch pattern I have used, Lace Wings from The Complete Encyclopedia of Stitchery by Mildred Graves Ryan.  

It's just the right amount of delicate and exactly what I was hoping for.  It is the perfect little stitch for a fancy cover up for the wedding but not so fancy that it is out of place with the rest of my wardrobe.

I also love how the edging detail is turning out.

It rolls and then stays put exactly so.  Beats an applied icord edging yet still give you that nice crisp edge.

And I love how the increases look at the sides.  

Isn't that neat?  After all the fuss and bother I had working the lace as the stitches increased, I left this area plain.  In a perfect world, lace would just seamlessly flow out  of the increases.  I can see it in my head, but just really didn't flow so easily out of my hand.  Smarter people would have graphed it out on paper to give themselves a pattern to follow.  If I was doing it again, that would be done.  For this top, c'est le vie.  

There aren't quite enough stitches being added for a nice looking fit at my hips.  I knew that going in.  I don't want the top to pull back so I will be switching out to a larger needle shortly to add what I need.  The bonus to this, over faster increases, is that the bottom of the sweater will drape and flow just a little more softly than the top.  Upping needle sizes worked so very well for me on my version of Myliu Lino and it seemed right for a sweater where adding increases across the back is not an option such as this is.

The only sad thing is that this red is so hard to get a good picture of so you can see it's true deep cherry.  It's called Persian red if that helps any.  I have tried switching out background colours and daylight versus flash, but it never quite captures the depth and intensity I see in front of me. 

I am so pleased with the way it is coming together and might make one for my mum.  I have some lovely yarn from Hemp for Knitting for a top for her, but I don't think it is quite enough.  It would make a shortie  cover up but as fashionable as my mom is, shortie is not an option.  But this pattern would be exactly what she wanted when we first talked about the design.

So knitting on going and knitting future. Always something to play with and I am going to take every advantage of single minute.  

1 comment:

Sel and Poivre said...

Omg so fantastic!