Thursday 13 August 2015

It's the little things.

I am thankful this morning.  Thankful that yesterday I was blessed with the time to knit and rest.  The last few weeks have been hard in so many ways and busy in so many ways. Yesterday was the first day in what feels like forever where it was my time, beholden to no one.

I knit.  And knit and read about lace edgings. I read an old favourite novel and had coffee on my deck.  I priced out kitchen cabinets and flooring to remind me why this is not the time to do kitchen renovations here.  I played with pad and paper and dreamed of the yard and garden  I want my home to have. I read and had wine.  What a lovely day full of wonderful little things.
 
My sweater is coming along nicely.  I spent a lot of time knitting and though I did not quite reach my goal (set pretty high), I did get close enough to goal that I can see this sections end in very countable rows.
 
I'm just about to start the neckline increases on the right side so there is about 1/2 of the second front to do before I move on to the underarm join.  I am very pleased with my progress.  I am sticking exactly to the pattern so far.  Exactly!  I never do this!  It will change on the bottom section but for now, exactly to pattern!

Lipstick is a pattern of details.  It is the little things that make this such a great pattern and Joji Locatelli such an interesting designer.

For instance, there is a twisted knit stitch combination right where the design changes for the front detailing.  It follows the very interesting twisted stitch rib at the shoulders and on into the sleeves.


These are the sort of quiet details that make a good design great.  These are the details that separate people like me from people who design and make people like me, who don't really need a pattern to knit a sweater, buy patterns.  I am having an inordinate amount of fun knitting small details.

Let others have their epic adventures.  I am glad that they do, but my quest is to find the simple joy in all the little things that make a life worthwhile.  The day to day mundane.  The normal. The everyday.  The ordinary.  The little bits of day that are of no consequence in the grand scheme of life but are everything.  I live a small life.  It is rich and full of sweetness and goodness all coming a little bit at a time.

No comments: