Tuesday 16 December 2014

Mrs. Bob

 This is Mrs. Bob.  She is going to be one of two things.  She will either be 34 inches long with two ruffled ends or she will be about half that with a loop to pull the ruffled end through.  I haven't made my mind up yet.  In fact, my mind might be made up by the amount of time before I want to give her to Mrs. Bob.

 Isn't that just the most splendid ruffle?  Cast on eleventy billion stitches so long as there is an even number.  Then purl back, then knit tow together and repeat these two rows till you have 1/4 of the stitches you started with.  And, if you are like me, and find that eleventy billion stitches meant your scarf was too narrow, then you knit a row, increasing once in each stitch before you start the rib.  It is working out just right.

 And then, knit in a one by one rib till the scarf is the length you desire.

The pattern is a variation of Ruffled Roses, a scarf that Annie Modesitt designed for an early early version of ruffle yarn.  It had a yarn end using the ruffle stuff, and then a nice ribbed scarf, and when you folded it in half and wrapped the ends through the loop, it formed this most delightful little rosette.

If I have enough time, there will be two ruffly ends.  the other side will have increases and a very long cast off to match the extremely long cast on.  sigh.  Oh the price of beauty.

If not, then a loop will hold and suffice. The ruffle is rather dense and crisp and I think it will hold its shape and stay put if the loop is not too long.  Illiman Royal is rated as a worsted weight yarn and I am knitting it with 3.5 mm needles.  The fabric it makes is really just perfect.

And now I am going to tell you all a little secret.  Someday, somewhere, somehow, I would love, almost above all other knitting things, to knit myself a green worsted weight alpaca shirt style sweater.  I don't know why, but there it is.

Meanwhile, I will pet Mrs Bob and Bob till I have to give them away.

No comments: