Monday 20 October 2014

Rushing Along

Oh dear.  I seem to have hit the snooze button one too many times, a rarity here, so no photos till this evening but I am doing the most interesting thing.  Besides red knitting of course.

I meet with my knitting friends on Wednesday evenings at a small community cafe.  A couple of weeks ago, the gent who usually serves us, brought us a large bag with an afghan in it.

It is a lace pattern, and two sections of it have managed, over time. to drop.  There are no strands that are broken so it appear that the original knitter just missed catching a stitch.  

I have gone through every pattern book I have and I haven't found a stitch quite like this. I have found dozens that are close, but all of them appear to be worked in the opposite direction of this one.  I sat down yesterday to see if I could copy it.

It went well, but I am not quite there yet. What I produced isn't quite like what the original is, though if its the best I can do, it will suffice for the repair.  I just think I am missing some small quirk that gives it its character.

Photos and a little more contemplation this evening.  

1 comment:

Mrs. Spit said...

Never underestimate the possibility that the creator misread the pattern, thereby creating a new stitch. Not that I've ever done that.