Thursday, 16 January 2014

If at first you don't succeed,

If at first you don't succeed, keep looking for the right yarn.

I kept digging in the stash in the boxes I knew contained superwash yarns, and after a good search, still had nothing.  It took going to the box of things that were more than just bits and pieces, to find exactly the right thing.  I found some Cascade 220 Superwash.  

I only had 1 part ball each of green, ecru and burgundy red, so I picked one up and started to knit.  I cast on 36, because the first pattern I worked off of said to cast 40 in a dk weight yarn, and this is just slightly heavier than a dk weight.  (If you wanted to follow this, it was a 3.5 mm needle)

And then I just kept knitting till I felt like adding a little colour.  I did that for a while and then knit some lice, and then another perrie pattern.  By the time I got to the second peerie pattern and I was worried about running out of the ecru, plus I was starting to be concerned about the decreases.  

Turns out that winging it and knitting blind worked!  I did not run out of yarn, and the 10 centered double decreases I used every row, perfectly mimic the shape of the hot water bottle. I knit a little ribbing for a collar on the remaining stitches and voila.  There you have it.

1 hot water bottle cozy in a good sturdy soft superwash yarn for Daughter3, whose back hurts pretty steady with the babe.  

Next up, some spiderman socks for a little guy.  



Sandra said...

don't you love it when a plan comes together!
Great Job!!

Anonymous said...

Looks lovely. Spiderman socks should be fun. GD