Thursday 2 August 2012

A little Love Affair

But in a good way.  I stopped at the South side store of River City Yarns the other day.  It was a few weeks since I was at a store and it was just time to go.  


I had a little fling.  But only a little one.  They had these new colours of Noro.  They had a new yarn from Noro too, Karuta.  I can't call it chunky, but somewhere just past Aran which is what Ravelry lists it as.  The colours in Karuta are just a little different.  They seem to follow families of colours.  There is a red orange fuchsia blend. I know, you are all thinking that I'm nuts saying they are in the same colour family, but ummm....they are?  OK, would you believe there is a green...How about this.  Holly Yeoh has designed a funky tee for the new Noro magazine.  See what I mean.  There is a sort of blue green blend in it that shouldn't belong, but it works.  Just like the orange with the fuchsia and pink.  It works.  Family.  Different but oh the roots are the same.  I loved Karuta, but I brought home something else.

One of the things I get most comments when I wear it is a Simple Yet Effective Shawl made from Kureyon Sock yarn.  Every time I wear it, I am stopped and asked where I got it, by knitters and non knitters alike. 

 I always think it really should be reknit, because it is a little loose and the front corners flop badly in comparison to all my other shawls and there is a wonky bit on the increase line.  But it hugs my shoulders and sits just effortlessly.  I should reknit it because it would look a thousand times better if I do, but really, no one has noticed its flaws.  It is the most fantastic series of greens.  

I love my Noro shawls.  You don't have to think, the colours just work it for you. I picked up a new colourway of Taiyo Sock.  2 balls for a nice big shawl.  Crecsent shaped I think (its easier to wear), but simple, just like my green.

Can I tell you a secret about what I see when I look at this pair?  I see glaciers.  Glaciers from far away, look pristine and white, but from far away you don't see the heart of them.  Close up, there are layers of dust and volcanic ash, and cracks that skew grey and deep dark blue and green crevasses.  I could see icy shards sparkling in the sun from where chunks had fallen.  I think I'd have to add crystals to show that part of it.  But can't you see that?  

Maybe that picture won't be there when I knit it up, but that is the adventure with Noro.  There is always something new to discover, always a different story than what you see on the surface.   The joy of Noro is the journey.  

1 comment:

Sandra said...

you're preaching to the choir! I'm a huge Noro fan, and let the colours do the work with it.