Thursday 12 July 2012

Goofing around

There was a day a while ago when I did not have anything I wanted to do with me but the very large and very pink sweater.  If you are trying to sneak in a few stitches at work, large and pink pretty much ensures that somebody will notice.

So I hied me off to the yarn store and did a little looking around.  I came back to work with a skein of sock yarn.  It was the oddest thing.  I really wasn't enamoured of it, but I bought it anyway.  That just doesn't happen in my world. I think I was thinking scarf till I held the yarn against my neck. With scarf out of the way, I couldn't think what I would ever want to do with a yarn that I didn't feel was sturdy enough for socks (singles, low twist).  

Then I remembered this book,  101 Sock Yarn One Skein Wonders.  Surely there was something in there.  

There was a really sweet little bag.  Zaubertote is a sweet little granny square bag that takes just one ball of yarn, but do pay attention.  If your gauge is off, you may need a second ball.  

My yarn choice , Mille Colori Socks & Lace is a wee bit shorter in length than Zauberball, so I have just decided to go for it and to expect to do the bottom, sides and strap in another colour.  The yarn will be fine for a bag because the bag will be lined with some good sturdy cotton.  

I am really pleased with the way it is working out and I am having an inordinate amount of fun watching the colour combinations work up.  I can see that the thrill of this project is seeing all the many ways a self striping yarn can look in such a simple shape.  

I'm keeping this project at work.  I decided that my desk requires a ball of yarn all it's very own.  I do not want to be stuck without a spare project ever again.  With its simple pattern, and small size, I can sneak a stitch in here and there any time I need to.

No comments: