Friday 29 June 2012

Seams and Yarn Sales

There is one other wee thing that I want to point out about seams.  Well about the word seam.  When used as a verb, it can also mean   "To form ridges in by purling."

I mean, who would have thought that.  The use of the word simply cannot be in the everyday lexicon of most people. I even found supporting use of the word this way when reading last night, in one of my older knitting books. Or maybe I just wasn't ready to know it yet.

My local yarn store is having their yearly sale Canada Day.  Its a biggie.  25% off.  For newsletter people if you care to shop a couple of days early and get the best selection, you can get 10% off in the days leading up to the sale.  I stopped by yesterday to scope things out.  

But I didn't scope.  I shopped.  I shopped hard. Like running a sprint, I only had so much time and there was a lot of yarn to consider.  There was lace.  Misti Alpaca or Malabrigo?  Colinette?  There was that gorgeous store line,  Eden as well as their Epic yarn in the cream and charcoal black.  Wonderful natural colours.  There was some cool chunky multi coloured Malabrigo.  There was a a whole bunch of Debbie Bliss Amalfi.  Its gorgeous stuff and perfect for summer knitting.  There was Rowan.  Oh my Creative Linen, how I love you. Kid Silk Haze, I love you plus I love your big balls of 'Stripes' even more.  There was a ton, a ton of chunky weight Super Alpaca from Diamond yarns.  I could have used several sweaters worth of that. There was Noro. And sock yarn.  And Sirdar's marvelous Baby Bamboo.  And Cascade 220 and Ecological Cascade  and Ultra alpaca .  And...and...and...

When I was preparing to pay the piper, they did not tell me how much I owed, they told me how much I saved.  That was impressive enough.  When I got home, I was mucking about and put it all in my stash, like a good Raveler (and so I remember just what I have) and you know what?  

I bought 3.9 miles of yarn yesterday. Almost 4 miles of yarn.  I didn't think 4 miles of yarn could fit into bags that small.

I ought to go lie down and think about that.  


2 comments:

Brendaknits said...

Just like groceries. Who knew that $100 worth of groceries could fit into two little bags. But yarn is so much more fun. Creative - great idea for a sale.

Fay said...

Hi! I enjoy reading your blog and viewing all the lovely projects. I have minimal connectivity due to my rural location but when I can love to view your WIP's. I was in EDM yesterday and picked up some yarny goodness at RCY. What a great end to a day! Tried to e:mail a note to you after reading your post but your e:mail address doesn't come up on my screen. Happy Canada Day July 1st!