Monday 4 June 2012

The doctor came

And he gave up.

Son 2's sweater needed just a little more length in the front.  I guess instead of knitting short rows in the back, what he really needed was just more rows.  Everything looked great but for a wee bit more length.  

since I just needed rows in the front, I was hoping to be able to split the ribbing off, just in the front, slip in some short rows, and graft it closed.  I don't mind long grafts so long as you take you time and pay attention to how tight you are pulling the grafted stitches.  I was sort of looking forward to it.  

When it came right down to it, the trouble with that sort of thinking was short rows.  I was a little concerned about whether I could get the last stitches of the graft melding seamlessly with the rest of the stitches.  I decided this was no place to try something new.  Had it been the back, I probably would have, but not on a sweater front.  

Yesterday evening, I took the bottom off 


and now am a few rows into the ribbing.



It was a weekend of finishing.  I also finished the blue sweater.  Well, almost finished off the blue sweater.

  
I forgot to make those adjustments to the sleeves but I will do that this evening.  It will be interesting to see if they still are needed after a day of wear.  Still I am very pleased with the way it turned out.  The hemmed edge is just the right sort of finish for it.  It gives weight and consequence to its simplicity.

I put its completion into my Ravelry page as I usually do and realized that it took me only 1 month to complete.  In the same time period I also knit a good portion of the brown sweater and knit a whole bunch of the pink.  That is a lot of sweater knitting in one month.  Which means little to anybody else but is pretty interesting to me.  

I am once again, thinking about what next.  Its not quite time to do baby things.  A wee bit early in the game for that.  There might just be enough time to squeak in one more sweater.  Or maybe I ought to just finish some stuff.  That work in progress pile is fast becoming the forever pile.

Or maybe I should just knit something garter stitch.  A little garter stitch might be just the thing for waiting. Or there is a quilt I want to stitch. And...and



No comments: