Monday 7 May 2012

Complete

I love collecting. I have often wondered if that is what I primarily do.   I have a lovely little collection of cheap blue and white china.  I have a stupendous collection of books.  I have a linen collection, and then there is the yarn.  Oh and the rest of the embroidery stuff.  I get irritated when a collection cannot be completed.

When I started knitting, River City Yarns (who led me) had copies of   Gossamer Webs and the Lacy Knitting of Mary Schiffman.  I eventually took both of these home with me.  I found Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls at Interweave in their damaged book sale a few years ago.  (IIRC.  My memory is a little fuzzy.)


But my collection was not complete.  I was missing the first in the series, Lace From the Attic.  I looked wherever I went.  I checked out some online vendors but it was out of print.  I even looked at getting a second hand copy, but till you added on postage...well, even my incomplete collection was not worth that kind of money.

 So the other day, when I was ordering a few things for spinning, I noticed a little something on the list of books.  The store had a copy of Lace From the Attic.  I could hardly believe it.  

My collection is complete.  Well worth the wait.  

These are not the 'big' lace books of the last 10 years.  They are small books, with not a lot of projects in them, but rather are published collections from very interesting people.   They are a little bit of history and a little bit of lace.  In their own small way they pack a punch far bigger than their dimensions would lead a knitter to assume.  Its a lot of very unique little bits.

I highly recommend them of you really love lace. 

Just in case anyone else is looking, Shuttleworks outside of Calgary  has a few more copies.  

No comments: