Thursday 29 March 2012

Canadian Conundrum

On the weekend, I experienced that most Canadian of conundrums.  It never happened to me before and yet, being Canadian I am not surprised.

The place I was at this weekend is operated by the wife and family of a Canadian writer of some note.  Like most writers writing Canadian stories, he is well known and yet, completely anonymous.  

I think the way most of you might put his work into your day to day world is his connection with the story of the Mad Trapper, Albert Johnson.  Its a book, published in 1980, that tells a story to try to illuminate what the last days of Albert Johnson must have been like.  

Or so I am told by reviews and information found on the net.  I wouldn't know.  I haven't read any of his work.  

I find myself a little ashamed of this, that I know of his work, but I have never ever read even a smidgen of it.  Not.  One.  Single.  Word. And I have read a lot in this life.  A lot.

And so the Canadian conundrum.  Fame and absolute anonymity to the point that one can be in the room with the man, and know him, and recognize his face but only have a glancing familiarity with his work.  I commented on his stature as a writer of some note to one of the retreat participants, and she had no idea what I was talking about.  It wasn't just me. 

And that is just a wee bit sad.  We are so busy reading and watching and connecting with the stories of our near and much more populated neighbour to the south, that we could name dozens of American writers  telling American stories and yet not be able to identify one of our own when we are in the same room with him, with someone who has won the Governor General's Award for Fiction twice in his lifetime, of someone who is a member of the Order of Canada.   

I have to remedy that.  I really must.  A person shouldn't have a complete hole in their reading list.  A Canadian shouldn't be so unaware of the stories of our own people.  Really we shouldn't.  

Ladies and Gentlemen, I bring your attention to Mr. Rudy Wiebe.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read Stolen Life. I think I've read some others but I don't recall which. I do want to read more of his work. I'm very impressed that you've met Rudy Weibe. GD

Sigrun said...

I'm also guilty. I know of Rudy Wiebe--if you asked me "Who is RW?" I could tell you that he is a local writer, that he used to teach writing classes, and that some of his students have also been published. But I haven't read anything of his. Next trip to Mandolin, guess what I'm going to scout for?

Brendaknits said...

I know of and have read Mr. Wiebe. Just read his latest book - Of The Earth. But then reading canadiana has always interested me.