Wednesday 1 September 2010

Cascade 220

The vest is working up nicely.  Like all colourwork, it seems to almost knit itself.  Between 9 and 11 in the morning yesterday, I knit a good inch. Which is fine except I had planned to do a solid morning of housework, and I am sure that I only knit for a very very short time.  Note to self:  don't pick up the colourwork unless you actually have time. Its hypnotic.

I am not touching it this morning.  I'd probably end up late for work!

This morning, my task is to tidy my study, clean a bathroom or two, deal with the things I did not do yesterday morning.  The first thing I did was to put away the yarn that was taken out of the closet as I tried to find the right colours of Cascade 220 for the vest.  

You know, before this vest adventure, I did not have much Cascade 220.  I had   5 or 6 skeins of a rich ruby red, and a sweater quantity of green. There were odds and ends from hats at Christmas a few years ago, but that was it. Now the Cascade 220 inventory includes 3 skeins of each of 2 different rusts, 3 or 4 different grays, 2 different greens, plain brown and black. 3 skeins of each. It is a ot of yarn.  I also have some part balls of bright strong accent colours bought for practising colourwork knitting as I learned.  Sigh.  Now what?  

There is no other yarn in the stash that I have in such overall quantities without a specific purpose.  This might be one of those burning questions that never gets an answer, but the yarn is Cascade 220.  Useful for everything.

With those duck feet slippers in mind, this household is about to go into slipper production. Somewhere around here I have a felted clog pattern, there is a good little sock type slipper pattern I can get at the store and I could knit multiples of the little felted slippers everyone was  knitting last Christmas.

Thankfully, slippers are fast knitting.  Small projects. Double stranded yarn.  Fairly large needles. Speedy knitting.   First the vest.  Then a dozen other things, and well you know...

I have several months before I have to begin my Christmas knitting. Christmas is ages away. Sure it is.     

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I keep telling myself that Christmas is months away and I have lots of time. Yeah, right.
Every year, I start my Christmas knitting in January, take a break from February to September, then take a look at the size of my family and friends, and start the scarmble yet again.