Tuesday evening, I took a count of all the stitches. I have been adding shaping stitches to a particular sequence without worrying too much about the final count of stitches. I need to have a number perfectly divisible by 7 to fit the lace panel in. Close but no cigar. I have 4 stitches too many, or 10 stitches too few.
Tuesday I thought I would have to pull back my knitting. This morning I realized duhhhhh...
I could leave the stitches as they are and decrease the 4 stitches on the last row before the lace row. The lace flares out a little bit and will hide those pesky getting to a 7 stitch repeat decreases perfectly.
Putting pesky little problems down for just a few minutes often helps me find the simplest solution.