Wednesday 9 September 2009

There are always socks

Even when the knitting of bits and pieces and samples for class is getting me down, there is always the comfort of socks. Nothing stunning, no thinking involved, just socks.

These look marvelous in a plain jane for my husband sort of socks. He needs another couple of pairs, and this very nice sturdy DGB Confetti yarn is just the ticket. DGB did a really masterful palette last spring, colours, designs, all sorts of interesting things, that I am really looking forward to knitting up. They are all on my must knit these list. I'm hoping to get a few more pairs of socks done before the end of September.

Mr. Needles made the comment last night that we ought to see how long we can go before we turn on the furnace this year. It is just us now, and the cat, and there isn't any reason we can't tough it out. Part of me wants to cry out, 'wait, there is a reason. Its freaking cold and my fingers don't work when it is cold' and part of me enjoys the idea of the challenge.

Its all about layering, and with all the shawls I have made, even when I am bundled in fibre, I can still knit. No Ralphie's little brother syndrome for me. My arms are still free. There is the heavy socks to dig out and the long johns to unearth. There are the neckwarmers and wristers from summer knitting to put on. There is the unfinished but now pressing toque to knit using the lever style knitting learned earlier this year and in the deep recesses of my stash there is some heavy weight 6ply roving from Custom Woolen Mills to knit up a very warm vest for lounging in at home.

If I don't get to these projects soon, I'll just pile the yarn around me in skeins, and camp out there till spring. Or till we cry uncle and the furnace comes on.

1 comment:

Sigrun said...

I love the Confetti yarn. My first knit socks, about7 years ago, were of that yarn (because of the price). Then I fell in love with sock knitting and knit socks with all kinds of sock yarn, regardless of price. I wear my socks constantly, year round. Guess which less expensive socks have lasted the longest. I was talking to Bonnie at WR yesterday, and she said that once you try spinning it "hooks" you. Can't wait. Still too busy to take a day off.