Tuesday 1 September 2009

My name is...

I spent some time last week, gathering together the few beads I have and putting them in one place. I was afraid that I would lose track of the beads that I used for the little green scarf. With the project done, they no longer needed to stay with the yarn, and maybe one day, there would be another use for the leftovers.I put them all together in a seldom used drawer and never gave it a moments thought.

This morning, I was thinking about the shawl I have started, the one I mentioned yesterday, that will probably take most of the fall to complete, and my thoughts were straying to beads. I came downstairs this morning to look, once again, at the beads I have chosen for this yarn. I was kind of looking forward to getting them out from one tidy place.

I was just going to lay some of the pretty pink beads on the yarn to remind myself how pretty this delicate pink confection of a shawl was going to be.

I had a little trouble seeing the pink bead containers. There seemed to be a lot of stuff in there.

I pulled out these. Oh right. I bought these before I had any pink yarn, because I knew at some point in time, I was going to need pretty pink beads for a soft lovely pink yarn. Why I knew I was going to knit a pink shawl is beyond me. I am not a pink person. I am not a rose colour person. These pretty beads may have made me decide to knit with pink yarn. I really don't remember exactly how it happened.


Then I came across these. I bought these sweet little things the day I bought the soft pink yarn. Sweet pink yarn, soft white pearly beads. A perfect combination. I completely forgot about these after I realized the pink yarn wasn't going to be up to the severe blocking the River Valley Shawl needs.

I came across a bunch of clear silver lined beads too. These I remember buying. I bought fairly large scale with no clear project in mind. A clear silver lined bead goes with every colour yarn, right? They would look very good with the soft pretty pink yarn too. Sparkle without colour, methinks.

There seemed to be a lot of beads in there. There seemed to be a lot of beads bought for pink shawls in there. I finally put my hand on the soft pink beads I was thinking of this morning. I bought these when I renewed the car license plates last week. The bead store is right beside the registry office. Sigh. Pretty though, very pretty, and probably the ones I'll use. Maybe.

I pulled out all the beads bought with knitting in mind. I'm not sure how I feel about this. It is mere months since I started contemplating knitting and crocheting with beads. I only have one book on the subject, and it is a tiny thing for wee beaded bags. I'm not a serious knitting with beads sort of person. Really I'm not.

... ...

Clearly, this isn't a yarn drawer anymore. It is a bead drawer. The yarn that is in that drawer is way, way way at the back. Maybe it's time to acknowledge the bead stash. Maybe acknowledging that it exists as a stash will help me recall the beads I have and how I meant to use them before I buy x many thousands of beads for a single pink yarn project. Maybe I ought to accept that knitting with beads is interesting and that I am not at all averse to a little sparkle with good yarn. Maybe I ought to put these beads for knitting together with the beads I have from making jewelery with my nieces, so I can see how bad it really is. Maybe I ought the acknowledge the beads before they take over two drawers.

My name is Needles and I have a bead stash.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I see nothing wrong with this.
Mind you, this is how I started - buying beads to knit with. I now have beads, beading tools, beading books, beading magazines...

your time will come...

Sigrun said...

My bead stash started when I went to Bedrock Supplies for a cold chisel (to break rocks) and came home with the cutest book on how to make dragonflies with beads. They are so dainty and pretty, I had to have them in different colors......