Friday 11 September 2009

How Knitty changed my life.

Indigirl asked us to post about Knitty and how Knitty changed my life. I'm not really sure if Knitty changed my life. You see I found Knitty before I found knitting and knitting indeed did change my life.

I was looking for socks. Even as a crocheter, socks looked very very interesting. I had that great sock book, Crocheted Socks, 16 Fun to Stitch Patterns, and I really wanted more. I was familiar with Crochet Pattern Central, and decided to check out Knitting Pattern Central just to see what was up.

There magically, was the link to the Unviersal Toe Up Sock Formula, and the rest of Knitty. I recall spending a lot of time at Knitty, just looking around, liking shapes, wishing I knit. The change from wishing to knitting happened when the Yarn Harlot mentioned that there were many different stykles of knitting. That sent me on a quest. What kind of knitting did I do? Knitting Help.com and oddly enough, a stuck internet connection, stuck on exactly the part of the video I needed, took me the rest of the way. I saw what I was doing differently when I knit and everything became clear.

After that the whole knitting thing snowballed and well, I talk about that all the time. Knitting did indeed chagned a life. Knitting gave saved me from a life with numbers (powerful bad when you can't count to 2). Knitting with its small focus, and it being the one small thing that it is, with the endless possibilities of yarn, gave me the power to see that leaving a bad for me job was not the end of my world, that maybe, just maybe it was the beginning.

I came to Knitty as a knitter with the Fall 2007 issue. I fell in love with Muir and Mr. Greenjeans just like everybody else. Juno Regina is in there too. I and many of the local knitters have an abiding and long standing relationship with Juno. I fell in love with every issue, and way too soon, was as familiar with the Knitty Archive as I was with my favourite books I found the many times knit by me, Calorimetry. I wait eagerly, with the hundreds of thousands of others, for each and every issue.

Don't get me started on what happened when I began to read Knitty Spin.

Knitty was not alone in changing my life, but it sure helped. Knitty is there when I need it, like an good friend. If I'm ever looking for just a little something, it is to Knitty that I go to first. Knitty is ideas and projects and forever inspiration. Knitty is part of a string of possibilities that are working magic in my life.

Not every knitter I meet knows about Ravelry. Not every knitter I meet knows how vast the knitting world is on the net but every knitter, each and every one who has the internet, has heard about Knitty.

And those that don't have the net at home, are going to the library to find you. That says a lot.

No comments: