Monday 10 August 2009

Buffalo Tea

We've advanced from the inaugural Buffalo Tea. We had tea in tea cups. Fancy. My sister is a genius for thinking cups up. Real china.Next year, I'm going to have to find a china teapot worthy of making the trip. We had guests this year. Dad, Mom and Mr. Needles also attended. (Though Mr. Needles is not a tea drinker, not even in fancy cups. Sigh.)A good and sturdy tea. No buffalo showed up this year, but we had fun even so.

We visited the homestead museum and studio of Berthold Imhoff, a painter of some note whose paintings still hang in churches, museums and homes the the mid Atlantic states and western Canada. Saskatchewan might be a place with no mountains, with no general magnificence. It might be a rather ordinary place but as ever Saskatchewan's principle secrets are the talents of its people. Contrary to the CBC interview from 1991, the studio has been restored, and is open to the public every summer, as well as a couple of original rooms from the house which is still the family home. A very interesting place. Well worth the stop off the beaten path, and lauds to Berthold Imhoff, an extremely talented painter, and his family for keeping the legacy and holding it dear.

I took along very simple knitting I already had on the needles. I pulled out three projects that would not need a pattern, so I could just sit and knit and chat and visit while knitting. In the end, I only worked on one project, the long neglected Simple yet Effective Shawl number two. This one is going to be larger, made with 2 balls of Noro Kureyon sock yarn instead of the usual one ball. Wonderful forest floor sort of colours. It suited the atmosphere of camping, and it suited the stand of trees we camped in. I've got both balls knit down to thin reminder of what they start as, and now that I am close to finishing this one, I think I'm going to carry this along with me for a while and get it done.

1 comment:

Sigrun said...

Perfect forest colors. I'd sure like to see it in person.