Monday 6 July 2009

Things besides the Shawl

There is still a lot of shawl knitting happening here at Chez Needles. I am deep into the last lace repeat with only 4 (I think) patterning rows to go. It takes me over an hour to do the 4 rows of each pattern row set and then there is the partial repeat you knit at the end of the shawl, so as you can see, there are a few hours of knitting in it yet.

I'm working on some socks too so I don't go batty. We talk a lot about sock knitting at knit night. Some of us are sock knitters, some of us prefer not to, but there is always a rousing conversation to be had if we start talking socks. The other day we were talking about reinforcing so they last just a wee bit longer. One of the ladies was saying that she often knits the slip stitch heel patterning right down to the middle of the foot so that the bottom of the foot where the wear most often happens is strengthened. That is what I am trying.

I started these red socks (yarn is Diamond Yarns Footloose) a while ago, and played with a few patterns. I wasn't having any fun, so I pulled them back to the toe and they have been sitting there ever since. I'm not sure if you can see the slip stitch part just yet.

Red is a hard colour to get a good detail photo with. Near the needles, hopefully, you can see the beginning of the it. I'm going to work it, slowly widening the pattern by four slip stitches every 8 rows or so (6 wasn't enough) so that the slip stitch part makes a nice little v shape in the centre of the foot and widens quite naturally to the heel.


Using slip stitch means it will probably be a gusset heel, but there isn't any real reason why I couldn't do a short row, I suppose, or a Fleegle Heel. I will surprise myself when I get nearer the heel part.


I'm debating about the cuff too. Should I do a little fancy on the cuff? should I do a little slippy on the cuff? Cables? Twisted stitches? To play or not to play, that is the question.

No comments: