Tuesday 9 June 2009

Stash Busting

When you go on a trip with a van, it is easy to talk yourself into filling the van with yarn. I did my best to stuff it with things I might need. I am so very glad no one asked what I brought along. You would not believe what I took along. Quite silly, really. I'll distract you now with something else.


I stopped in Saskatoon to visit and my sweet mom took me to a lovely store. Prairie Lily Knitting and Needlework is a lovely shop. I tried to choose yarns that I had not been exposed to before. I found some very lovely things. The solid red is Briggs and Little 2 ply. It is available in Edmonton, but not at my store and I just never get over to where it is. This is destined to be another in the parade of thick warm winter shawls.


The lighter teal blue is a silk and alpaca blend from Foxwood Alpacas.


The marvelous warm hand painted corals and reds is a seacell and silk blend from a Niagra area dyer. There is no branding here, just the lovely delicious yarn called Red Roses.


On the needles (you expected me to wait?) is the cotton and silk blend from Misti Alpaca. This is just a delightful yarn, but I don't know about how lasting it might be. It is so incredibly soft and seemed to fuzz just sitting in a bag on the way to the conference. I cannot see a sign of the fluff as I knit so maybe that is what is on my camera lens.


Mom wandered with me to the big craft store that shall not be named. They have a reasonable selection of needles (Can you believe it? I did not have the right size long straights.) I have not tried the Patons Silk and Bamboo. Soft. Possibly underspun, but it might be nice in a sweet little lacy scarf. To give some rest and usefulness to my immediate knitting, I chose a couple bright balls of Handcrafter Cotton. A few good dishcloths will be great camp knitting.


And then just a wee bit of sock yarn, from Indigo Moon the booth of the sponsoring vendor, Haus of Stitches at the conference.


And lastly, some sock yarn (you really can't have too much) purchased from one of these great places, but I have not got the foggiest idea which one.


I busted a couple of stores stashes, just not my own. I think I showed remarkable restraint.


1 comment:

Sandra said...

Handicrafter is also great for Swiffer covers. Mason Dixon has a great pattern. You can coordinate all your clean cleaning tools! (because, you know, it's just not right until all the things that pick up crap in the kitchen match...)