Monday 15 June 2009

Come Monday morning


It's a wee bit strange to be actively posting again after a week of posting but not being there. I was glad to get it written down before I forgot the best parts, and was thrilled to have a chance to use the schedule posts feature.

Camping was lovely. It still is early spring there. There are still some snow banks in shady places along the lake and the fish are just starting to wake up. The buds are just popping out, but at the very same time, there are tiny flowers making the most of the very short season. Mr.Needles did some climbing again, and got this spectacular shot against a clear blue mountain country sky.

Mr Needles, being the ardent photographer he is, gets right into his work. Over and over again. I am not going to tell you how many days, and times of day he got down to try to take a photo of this wee small lady slipper. Its colours almost defied photography.

There was some small excitement around the camp. The elk mommas and babies were again across the river, and were being bothered by a big hungry black bear. In the way of nature, the bear did not leave empty handed and some of the mommas will have to wait till next year to raise a strong young calf. The rangers cleared the valley of bear, it being a place of stupid human occupation (humans are often truly stupid when it comes to wildlife), and Mr. Bear is off up in another valley and will be finding berries and tender shoots to eat in very short order.

The lake and sky and air that we love so well, were wonderful, marvelous and a balm to weary souls.


Over in the campsite below, there was much knitting. After taking the lever knitting class with the Yarn Harlot, I did as she said and have been working on a ribbed project to get the style of knitting firmly into my mind. I choose to make a good little ribbed hat, a la Knitting Rules. I plan to knit it straight and then pull it all together on top, and tie it up for a simple, old fashioned hat. I have yarn to make some wristwarmers too, and there might be enough for a short ribbed neck warmer too. I'm using left overs from the hats I made at Christmas, and I am doing the same for this set. I'm double stranding and knitting tight. The knitting tight, I can't quite seem to help, with the new knitting style and all, but I am sure that will work itself out in time.

Just before we left, I had started on a Shoal Water Shawl. I have loved this shawl for a long time, and after a friend, SweaterRae (on ravelry) wore hers to the store one day, I just could not hold off. The knitting on it continues at home, and I am just at the end of the second repeat. This is right where the rows are starting to get really really long. Some people may find it a little dull with its long rows of garter stitch and waves, but I cannot help but be absorbed by the rythmic simplicity. To me, this is knitting at its finest. A little focus, and a lot of healthy zen like meditation.

It was really a silly time to start this shawl. Its big and it is going to take some time. I have committed myself to a lacy shawl knit along with some friends this summer, and I am now one full week behind everybody else. It just didn't seem like the red merino lace I have choosen, was camping knitting, and to be truthful, I am not entirely sure that I want to do it in the red as I planned. I have the strongest feeling this secret lace isn't going to be a red-like lace. From the glimpses I have seen of the pattern, it should be, but I don't know. Now that it is time to knit, I'm can't commit. Is there such a thing as a lace colour that a pattern shouldn't be knit in?

To top it off, there is this icy cool pink merino lace at the store that is crying out to be knit, and there are little wee pearl beads that are just begging to go along with it. It would be like knitting candy tufts, only lighter, sweeter and with no calories.

Further to the knitalong shawl staying busy in my thoughts, is my moms Christmas present. I have some very delicate soft blue cashmere for a shawl for her. I origiginally planned for a wisp, but I think she'd like something a little larger, a little longer. If I do that, I'll need just a little more yarn and then with that little more yarn, should I be making a Wisp or something ethereal from Victorian Lace? These lovely things from a past issue of Twist Collective? The only thing I know is that the yarn cries for something ethereal.

And maybe pearls...
















1 comment:

Sigrun said...

Will you explain "lever knitting"?