Thursday 14 May 2009

Sheep Fleece 2

Today is sheep fleece day 2. This is the batch that was cold water washed, and I am about to put it into the rinse stage. Boy I hope this works.



I'll take some photos as I work and will post them through the day. Its going to be an interesting day.


If you looked out my back window right now, you would see yet another skiff of snow on the ground. It won't survive on the ground more than another hour or so. The difference between the snow staying and melting on hitting the ground is very small. Anywhere there are rocks that hold just the smallest bit of yesterdays warmth from the sun, the snow is long gone.



The snow has stayed where the lawns tiny spikes of last years growth or the ground covers growth has held it just enough above ground to have it cold above and cold below. This is the snow that stayed. There was much more snow to the west of the city and I am glad I don't live over there.



It is not warm outside, and I will be working in very cold water. Like I said, interesting day.


Update: I did attempt to begin working with the fleece. Its darn cold outside, and I decided to wait till later when it warms up. I may have to reconsider that decision in case when it warms up is July.

Noon Update: Yup, July. We are having the lovliest of snow showers right now. Most of it is melting when it hits the ground so there isn't any more accumulation and that does mean it is warmer but only a degree or two. Unfortunately, the fleece cannot wait, so I am going to gird my loins (or at least my worst winter coat) and go out and get this fleece done.

Unless the hose is frozen.

Update 3 p.m.:

I feel sheepy, Oh, so sheepy,

I feel sheepy and smelly and cold! And I pity

Any girl who isn't me tonight.

(lyrics maladapted from 'West Side Story' My apologies to Steven Sondheim.)

The Fleece has been rinsed once, and will be rinsed again before I set it up to dry. I think it worked but can't really tell until it is dry. then I can feel it and compare it to the hotwash method.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very brave and determined of you to go out in that weather. GD